Anderson Field/Hermance Stadium
Anderson Field is home to the Oglethorpe University baseball team. Before the facility became known as Anderson Field it was originally called Hermance Stadium, relative to the street that is adjacent to Oglethorpe. The stadium was completed in the year 1920 and was used to house Oglethorpe’s football team. But in 1940 Anderson Field became the new name for the athletic field, named for legendary Oglethorpe coach Frank Anderson, and the history has grown since then. One of the greatest features of Anderson Field is the stands. The stands where fans sit to cheer on the Stormy Petrels are from the original construction of Hermance Stadium. These stands allow the history of Oglethorpe Athletics to remain in the front of people’s minds when they visit Oglethorpe for a baseball game at Anderson Field. The venue has recently hosted the 1994 and 2004 SCAC Baseball Championships. In the more distant past, the venue was the home of the great Oglethorpe baseball teams of the 1920s which featured Hall of Famer Luke Appling and were coached by Anderson himself.
Dorough Field House/Pinholster Court
Dorough Field House is home to both men’s and women’s basketball and volleyball at Oglethorpe University. The facility is named after R.E. Dorough, who was an Oglethorpe trustee for many years. The structure was completed and ready for use in 1960. The field house had major changes take place in 1979 when renovations were made. The facility’s court is known as Pinholster Court and is named in honor of legendary coach Garland Pinholster, who led the Stormy Petrel men’s basketball team to the semifinals of the 1963 national tournament. The gym has recently played host to a first/second round pod in the 2009 NCAA Division III women’s national tournament, as well as the 2009 SCAC Volleyball Championship.
Oglethorpe Track and Field
The Oglethorpe Track and Field is where you will find the Oglethorpe track and field teams as well as the men’s and women’s lacrosse programs, and the men's and women's soccer programs. The field is located inside the track and features a synthetic turf surface. The Oglethorpe track and field teams use this facility to prepare for their meets, and they have hosted home meets at the facility. The track played host to the 1994 SCAC Track and Field Championships and was recently renovated. The field was completed in 2013 just in time to ring in the new seasons for the men's and women's lacrosse teams. Men’s lacrosse was added for the 2011 season and played their first two seasons at Salamone Field. The women’s lacrosse team competed in their inaugural season on the Oglethorpe Track and Field. The soccer teams moved to the field full time for the 2015 season.
Stephen Schmidt Sport and Recreation Center
The Schmidt Recreation Center is the headquarters for Oglethorpe University Athletics. Schmidt is an addition to Dorough Field House, the location for all Stormy Petrel basketball and volleyball home games. The center includes an auxiliary gym that can host intramurals as well as other events. Above the auxiliary gym is the fitness center, with state of the art training equipment that can help Oglethorpe athletes and students stay in shape or prepare for the season. Schmidt is also home to the athletic training offices as well as the offices for coaches and athletic staff. The recreation center is dedicated to Stephen J. Schmidt, Oglethorpe Class of 1940, who took the lead for funding the creation of the center. The Schmidt Gym hosted matches during the 2009 SCAC Volleyball Championship.
Hours of operation:
Monday to Thursday: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Saturday: Noon to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 3 to 10 p.m.
Downing Howell Tennis Courts
The Downing Howell Tennis Courts are home to the Oglethorpe University men’s and women’s tennis teams. The courts are named after the grandson of G. Arthur Howell Jr. who was a generous contributor and supporter of the Oglethorpe tennis teams as well as a member of the Oglethorpe Board of Trustees. Howell’s son Peter is currently the head coach of the men’s and women’s tennis programs at Oglethorpe. The university dedicated the courts in 2010. The courts have served as host for the 1994 and 2004 SCAC Tennis Championships. In addition, the facility frequently plays host to matches as part of the ITA South Regional Championships when that event is hosted by Emory University.
John P. Salamone Memorial Soccer Field
Salamone Field is where the Oglethorpe University men’s and women’s soccer teams called home until the 2015 season. The field is named after Oglethorpe alumnus John Salamone, who was a player for the men’s soccer team from 1982-86. Salamone, who worked for financial service firm Cantor Fitzgerald in the World Trade Center, tragically passed away during the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack. He was inducted into the Oglethorpe University Athletic Hall of Fame in 2002. The field also served as the home of the Oglethorpe men’s lacrosse team for two years while the Oglethorpe Track and Field was being renovated. The field still serves as a practice field for both soccer teams, and occasionally hosts intercollegiate games, as well.